Tuesday, December 29, 2009

FROM THEIR SHOES

I answered the EMS incoming call. They were bringing a transfer from a small hospital 30 minutes away. The story: 33 yr old female patient with a history of Paranoid Schizophrenia involved in a vehicle-tree accident. Evaluated and treated for abrasions at the smaller hospital. During this time the patient was actively combative and hallucinating. Arrangements were made for the admission to our Psychiatric Unit and the patient was given an injection of Geodon prior to leaving. Enroute the patient stopped being combative, no longer required restraints and was cooperative.

When I entered the room she was sitting on the stretcher sobbing. Obviously fearful and overwhelmed she was telling her husband "You don't understand!! God hung up on me!! Now they can get me! I have no protection, he hung up on me!" She was shaking and praying. "I tried calling him over and over but he wouldn't answer!"

It dawned on me. We in healthcare experienced the successful effect of medication intervening and curbing hallucinations, voices, and combativeness. But the patient? She experienced this same scenario as God abandoning her when the voices left. Now, in her "unprotectedness" she was terrified. Vulnerable to the demons that had been chasing her,
a sitting duck.

I went in and calmly said to her "I know your scared but we will take care of you. We will keep you safe." True, we would. She stopped crying, looked up at me and said "Will you pray with me"? I said "Yes"... held her hand and we said the Our Father together. She remained cooperative the rest of her time with us until she went to the psych ward. In nursing we take care of people where they are at, not where we think they should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment