Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Thank You Sister Sheila

Nursing has served me well! For all it's ...trials & tribulations, schedules that look like a strip of Atrial Fib, exhausting documentation, impossible personalities , untold pathogens and fluids, mornings when I can still feel my pulse in my feet from yesterdays shift, yes nursing...has served me well. It has provide life experiences and rewards that most people will never have.

When I realized I was entering my 30th yr of nursing in 2006 I decided to track down Sr Sheila and thank her. In the fall of 1973 Sr Sheila called each gal into her office to ask our plans for college. I had to tell her that I didn't know what I was going to do. You see, my father had just recently been hit by a "down-sizing" in his corporate world and was let go. There would be no money for college.

Sr Sheila didn't miss a beat. She picked up my transcripts and said "Your very good in sciences. Why don't you get a diploma in nursing, go to work and then decide what you want to do." And that started the ball rolling. In 1976 a diploma in nursing cost $2400 dollars and 2 yrs study with no time off. I did it and over the next 12 yrs had my children, went through some life changes, and finished my degree. Regardless of changing economic climates I never once worried about finding a job.

I tried to find Sr Sheila using a classmate web networking site without success. I called High School acquaintances, without success. I tried contacting the order of Nuns she belonged to, again without success. I tried a few more ideas and then gave up. I said "OK God, I tried. If you want me to do this then give me the way"

A year later I happened to be at work one day when a favorite ER volunteer was sharing how she had helped each of her four adopted children find their birth mothers using the web. Bingo? I explained to her my quest. She requested the name of my high school, the year I graduated and how old I thought Sr Sheila was in 1973. One week later she walked in and handed me...Sr Sheila's phone number!

I couldn't wait to make the call. When she answered I explained "I don't expect you to remember me but you were my high school guidance counselor in 1973. I continued my story and finished by saying... You steered me onto a path that gave me a sense of purpose, supported me and kept me challenged for 30 years. I want to say thank you. You made a huge difference in my life". Her voice cracked, she said "You will never know how much I needed this call today! "

You see, God didn't give me her phone number when I wanted it, he gave it to me when she needed my call. I love how that works.

2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    Awesome story.
    Isn't it wonderful when you follow the link when your inner voice speaks to you?
    Thank you for sharing.

    Karyn Oncu

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! Yes, God certainly does things in His time. Not ours.
    -Christen

    ReplyDelete