Sunday, October 25, 2009

33 Years, Still Going Strong

Little did I know 33 years ago that I would now proudly refer to my nursing career as "Life in the Trenches" It's not for the weak of stomach, heart, or spiritually maladjusted. Well, you may enter spiritually maladjusted but dealing with the tragedy, humor, miracles, frustrations and stupidity of humans will change all that. The names and places are forgotten. The stories stay with me.

Like the very prim and proper, perfectly coiffed middle aged mother who anxiously answered the "why did you come in" question with this: When my college age daughters came home for Thanksgiving I was absolutely appalled at dinner when I realized they had both pierced their nose. I was furious. They looked like...I can't even go there. Today i was walking through the mall and I saw these things for sale. It's a small magnet that you put on the inside of a nare then a diamond looking stone that you put on the outside out here (she's got her finger in her nose demonstrating). I was going to wear it to Christmas dinner just to show them how ridiculous they looked. It tickled and I sniffed in. I think the magnet is in my lungs". .

I'm not sure how the billing department coded this one, or what her final out-of-pocket cost was. But an ER room charge, MD evaluation and chin to pelvis x-rays can't be cheap. The end result was she was OK and would just poop the magnet. During discharge I said "You must tell this story to your girls". She threw her nose up in the air and indignantly proclaimed "I WILL NOT!" I hope she changed her mind as her ruffled feathers settled. It would make for a great family story at Christmas dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious. I wonder how many xrays have been done on people who aren't sure if they swallowed or inhaled an object. ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved that story...thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete